Friday, May 30, 2014
The Last of Us - The "Undying Headless Enemies" Bug
In addition to giving a substantial portion of my free time over the years to playing video games, I also spent two years of my life working as a game tester on first-party PlayStation titles at Sony Computer Entertainment America. That was many years ago, and I am now back to playing games for fun, not to break them. But, every once in a while, I happen upon a bug so peculiar or so amusing that I cannot help wanting to research it further.
I encountered a couple curious bugs in The Last of Us. Below, I break down a particularly nasty one that sees the player running afoul of a group of sewer-dwelling infected who simply will not die. You can shank them, melee them, burn them, unload every last round of ammo you have. You can even stomp their heads off, and they will just keep getting back up.
After I demonstrate the bug, commentary begins at 1:50. (And, yes, I know they're not really "zombies.")
Version Tested: PS3 Patch 1.07 (May 6, 2014).
Summary: User is unable to progress in Sewers level after initiating combat with pursuing enemies.
Conditions to Reproduce:
1. In The Last of Us: The Suburbs: Sewers.
2. After Joel and Ellie reunite, with enemies in pursuit.
3. Before helping Henry try to break down the door.
4. With Molotov cocktail in inventory.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. User progresses to The Suburbs: Sewers.
2. User progresses to when Joel and Ellie reunite, with enemies in pursuit.
3. User progresses forward through door and closes door against enemies in pursuit.
4. User equips Molotov cocktail.
5. User tosses Molotov cocktail at enemies as they breach the door, before they are able to reach Ellie (timing-specific).
Enemies will catch fire but will not die. User is unable to defeat enemies by any means. Even when shivs and upgraded melee weapons are employed, enemies will persist. Even after an enemy is decapitated, it will rise again and persist without head. User is not otherwise able to progress.
User does not become engaged in combat with undying and headless enemies.